Search This Blog

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pages from an Angsty Mars Rover's Diary

I forgot to post this a few weeks ago when it went up on scenemissingmagazine.com, but today's MAVEN launch has brought it back into my mind.

So, first. Scene Missing Magazine. It's run by the wonderful Jason Mallory, who I became acquainted with through my work with Write Club Atlanta. He sends writers a movie trailer (mine was 2009 space-thriller Last Days on Mars), and then asks them to use that trailer as a prompt. There is also an awesome live show version of this every third Wednesday at the Highland Inn Ballroom. It's awesome. Next week will be full of Chevy Chase.

So, here's the trailer for Last Days on Mars.



I got this only a few days after the end of the Government shutdown, and for whatever reason it led me to question what poor Curiosity, the lovable Mars rover, was up to while NASA was on furlough.

Oct 2, 2013
Dear logbook,
I haven’t heard from NASA in 2 days. Normally, I wouldn’t complain. Everyone needs time off, right? However, usually they’re polite enough to give some warning. Normally, I get some sort of explanation for the silence. But this time? Nothing. Not a damn thing. No “Hey, Curiosity. How’s it going? Thanks for discovering WATER ON MARS. By the way, we’re going to take a few days off, and waste your more than valuable time while we go have some sort of nerd-fueled frat party with Wil Wheaton and Sandra Bullock.”

I mean, it’s not like Mars rovers last forever. I’m still young. I still have some life left in me. But, hell, so was Spirit, and that poor fucker got stuck in a sand pile and had to be repurposed as a glorified robotic weatherman. And then there’s, oh, you know, every other hunk of metal they’ve sent up here who just stopped being able to communicate with NASA at all. It’s not like I wouldn’t jump to THAT conclusion.
I don’t want to be a huge fucking exhaust pipe or anything, but this just isn’t cool. I happen to take this job seriously. I happen to think what I’m doing up here is a bit more important than whatever the hell it is they’re doing instead. I can’t think of a single damn thing that would be so important that it would warrant completely abandoning a two and a half billion dollar piece of state of the art machinery to its own devices. What, did Firefly get approved for a new season? Did Half Life 3 finally come out? Did someone leak naked pictures of Felicia Day? Great. Awesome. Good for them. Meanwhile I’m just sitting up here on the planet those idiots fixated on for years, twiddling my gears.
Maybe I’m overreacting. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. In the meantime, I’m going to go laser some rocks to blow off steam.
-Curiosity.

If you're curious about what happens next... click to read it on the Scene Missing Website.

And, of course, come see the show this Wednesday at 9pm at the Highland Inn Ballroom. See you there!

1 comment: